Friday 14 September 2007

Are you talking to me?

I just remembered that at that meal we had with my family Bert had very unusually and unexpectedly, in the midst of the tense atmosphere, paid me a compliment.

This is the guy who has never paid me a real compliment in all the years we've been together. When we first met, he said that my nose was almost perfect. But since then it's been a round of:

Me: How do I look? [whenever I dress up, e.g. on our wedding day]
Bert: Fine.
Me: What do you think of this dress?
Bert: There's nothing wrong with it...are you ready to go?
Me: Do you think I am good-looking?
Bert: Well...I think you're similar to me, neither good-looking nor ugly.

As you can see, I've had to fish for even these tiny tidbits.

Recently, a friend was a little concerned at the apparent lack of affection emanating from Bert, and said "Come on, I know you love her really, so give me ten reasons why you do". After squirming for some time, Bert finally came up with:
  • Well, she's kind...
  • ...And she's a good mother...
  • ...........and............
After a further struggle, he suddenly said as if inspired, "I love her for what she used to be!"

(At that point I went to bed in disgust.)

So anyway, at this meal, he suddenly complimented me on my blue top, saying how well it matched my eyes.

I'm afraid my instinctive response was, "Are you trying to be funny?"

They say that a relationship can survive as long as you talk to each other. Do you think this counts?

3 comments:

lynneguist said...

I think this is a call to compliments for lazybrain's friends, since we know she is spectacular and beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree lynneguist. And loyal, and clever and brave.

No 1 Edinburgh Fan

Tilly said...

Thank you both for the compliments!

Yours gratefully,

Billy Two-mates